boise to sawtooth mountains drive

You'll be leaving Rte. Heading South on ID-75, the Stanley Ranger Station (I1) lies ahead in 5-miles, where you can get information about local hikes and purchase any passes that you may need. I cant count the number of times that people asked us if we were going to Idaho to see potatoes when we mentioned that we were going to Idaho for vacation. I encourage you to do your own research to find hot springs you might be interested in visiting. Check out some of the other options in the If you have more than 3 days section below. Turn-by-Turn Directions: From Shoshone, take Idaho 75 north to Stanley. Let me know in the comments! Check out the Ketchum Sun Valley Historical Society Heritage and Ski Museum, which gives a general rundown on the valley's history, from mining to ski resort, and offers a walking-tour brochure. There are almost 400 lakes within the Sawtooth Mountains. We started the Alice Lake Trail from here. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. If you are doing some longer hikes, this is a great option to carry with you in case you run out of water. In order to do this itinerary, you will need your own vehicle. A couple of good options are Papa Brunees, Sawtooth Hotel Restaurant, and Redfish Lake Lodge. If renting a car in Boise, I recommend using Booking.com. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Thirty-four miles from Boise, you will arrive in Idaho City, where in the 1860s, it was the location of one of the biggest gold booms in the United States. There are great views of the mountains as well as various amenities and boat rentals. 3. WebBoise, ID232 contributions 3 The Sawtooth Mountain range rivals the Grand Tetons May 2018 If you are in Sun Valley or Ketchum, take the two hour drive to Redfish Lake in Stanley, Idaho. If Winter is not mentioned, the road may be closed during the winter. Getting to the Sawtooth Mountains First of all, how to get here? Along the scenic route, there are several stunning places to stop and take in the sights. Sawtooth Adventure Company runs several trips out of Stanley and would be a good option if youre looking for a rafting trip as they have multiple options. Most hot springs are maintained by the locals that regularly use them, so please respect the hot springs (and anything else!)

This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Day 5: Day in Boise, Head home From desert to mountain, this is the perfect drive for just cruising and The day-use area at Pettit Lake has lake front access and beautiful views of the mountains across the lake. Have dinner at a restaurant in Stanley.

Another option for enjoying the water around the Sawtooth Mountains is to go on a rafting trip. Twentyfour miles from the Hatchery, the Galena Summit Overlook (V2) offers a panoramic view of the Sawtooth Range and in another mile, you will head over the 8,701-foot Galena Summit. There are currently no glaciers within the Sawtooth Range. Salt Lake City is another option that will probably have more flights and cheaper options, but its further away, about 5 hours and 45 minutes. There are so many beautiful things to see in the Sawtooth Mountains. Since hot springs are very fragile and can be easily found with a little research of your own., I will not be providing the names of the specific hot springs we visited. If youre road tripping around Idaho like we were, definitely add the Sawtooth Mountains to your list! Required fields are marked *. If youve read through my 3-day Sawtooth Mountains itinerary for first-timers, then you would see that YES, the Sawtooth Mountains are absolutely worth visiting. The water flow can vary tremendously depending on when you visit. On our trip, I fell and hit my head (thats a story for another day), so we had to spend some time taking it slow. This site does not include all financial companies or all available financial offers. If you have flexibility in your trip, first-come, first-serve may be your best bet.

Spend the morning hiking the Fishhook Creek Trail, have a picnic lunch at the end of the trail, spend the afternoon relaxing at Redfish Lake. Our free Road Trip Planner will reverse the route and include the places of interests. Feel free to modify to include or exclude hikes of different lengths and difficulties. How to Get Around the Sawtooth Mountains WebThere are three scenic drives that lead to Stanley, Idaho from Boise - the first is going through Sun Valley, the second comes through Idaho City on the winding roads of Highway 21, and the third is going up Highway 55 and then following the beautiful scenic drive through Garden Valley and Lowman Idaho. Hot springs in the Sawtooth Mountains were one of my very favorite things in Idaho. Explore the shops, grab a bite to eat, or visit the Lemhi County Historical Museum or Sacajawea Interpretive Center. Id suggest starting your day with one of the many hikes in the Sawtooth Mountains. Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. Its central location in the state makes it relatively convenient no matter where youre coming from. There is only one grocery store, but its pretty small, and just a handful of places to eat. There are also things you can do in town. The Sawtooth Mountains are a special place to locals and visitors alike. It takes you across 115 miles of some of the states most beautiful landscapes. What part of the Sawtooth Mountains would you be most excited to experience? Use our free Road Trip Planner to completely plan your adventure. Track your favorite scenic drives by selecting those which you want to take and those that you have taken. The Sawtooth Mountains were the centerpiece of our trip to Idaho and we were sad to leave even after a week there. I'm Stef and I'm the face behind Open Road Odysseys! They are good friends of ours and traveled with us on our 2-week trip to Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and the Sawtooth Mountains. If you go this route, make sure you follow all national forest and Idaho laws regarding watercraft and possible permits needed. Your email address will not be published. Flight time: 1 hour, 23 minutes. Ketchum and Hailey are a little over an hour south of Stanley, Idaho. A good phone camera would work well for most landscapes, but you might want something with a zoom lens if you want to get any wildlife pictures. Here is a fantastic 3-day itinerary for first-timers with everything youll need to plan the perfect trip. If you love the great outdoors but dread dealing with the crowds, this Sawtooth Mountains, Idaho road trip itinerary is the perfect choice for your next getaway. You can also fly into the smaller airport in Hailey, which is just outside Sun Valley, Idaho and only an hour from the Sawtooths. Required fields are marked *. While there are potatoes in Idaho, there are also some of the most beautiful mountains and wildernesses in the lower 48 states. Nothing can ruin a trip faster than sunburn, am I right? We visited the Sawtooths from Twin Falls, which is about 2 hours and 45 minutes south of Stanley, and it was a perfect addition to our already epic Idaho road trip! With windy roads and mountain views, its a super scenic almost 3 hour trek. Day 3: Day in Sawtooth Mountain Range region, Drive to Stanley. The U.S. may soon find out. From Boise, head north along Highway 55 for 2.5 hours until you reach Ponderosa State Park. This itinerary is based on a very similar trip my husband and I took with two of our friends in August 2020. You could also book a fishing trip and learn fly fishing. The range is home to hundreds of gorgeous alpine lakes and jagged peaks (they look like a saw! Along the scenic route, there are several stunning places to stop and take in the sights. I mentioned some options above, but I like to use AllTrails to see all the great choices in any area Im visiting. 5 hours, 12 minutes. At the moment, they arent heavily visited and Idahoans like it that way. While this Sawtooth Mountain guide is focused more on the Stanley area, Stanley is pretty remote and small, so your options will be more limited when it comes to lodging than perhaps some more popular mountain towns in the US. This is a given, but Id recommend bringing a camera. My favorite place in Stanley is Perks & Peaks Coffee, which I promptly visited every morning before our hikes. You can explore the dunes by hiking, sandboarding, or even horseback riding. Flight time: 1 hour, 23 minutes. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Alternate Route: Take I-15 North to US-26 West at Blackfoot, then US-93 North at Arco to Challis. Today is all about the hikes and hot springs! Today Ketchum is a fairly typical Western ski town crowded with gift shops, art galleries, boutiques, restaurants, and expensive houses sprawling up the valley. Even if you do not stay at the Redfish Lake Lodge, there are multiple amenities available to any visitor. With windy roads and mountain views, its a super scenic almost 3 hour trek. One of the major things to do in the Sawtooth Mountains is hike. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. From the Petit Lake area, you can hike to Yellow Belly Lake, which is slightly north of Petit Lake. Need some ideas for your next Idaho road trip? living on the road in ourself-converted sprinter van!

Its just you and nature. But if youre like us and only have a little bit of time to spend there, this guide will focus on some of the best things to do in the Sawtooth Mountains if you just have 2 days, as well as tips on where to stay, information about the area, and more!Well be focusing on the Stanley, Idaho area, as that was sort of our basecamp for our adventures, but make sure to check out our if you have extra time section for more ideas of things to do in the surrounding area. Spend some time exploring the different hot pools of water, pick your favorite, and soak for as long as youd like. If you plan on doing any kind of hiking, Id recommend hiking shoes or boots rather than sneakers. If you are coming from far away, the closest large airport is in Boise, Idaho. If youre interested more in Redfish Lake, check out my blog post on Redfish Lake. Ketchum and Hailey are popular with celebrities and was the last place that Ernest Hemmingway lived before his death. Click the Add to Road Trip above to start planning your next road trip. Many of the city's 19th-century buildings have been repurposed into homes, restaurants, and shops. Stanley, Idaho is a main hub for people visiting the Sawtooth Mountains.

Guided tours are available. Day 3: Day in Sawtooth Mountain Range region, Drive to Stanley. Well soon find out. Will anyone want to buy 2,000 rhinos? Lady Face Falls Trail has great views of the mountains behind expansive wildflower fields. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. WebBoise, ID232 contributions 3 The Sawtooth Mountain range rivals the Grand Tetons May 2018 If you are in Sun Valley or Ketchum, take the two hour drive to Redfish Lake in Stanley, Idaho. Day 1: Arrive in Boise, Drive to Twin Falls. WebFlight distance: 442 miles or 712 km. This sprawling preserve encompasses four mountain ranges, several large lakes, the Salmon River headwaters, and dozens of hot springs. Day 4: Day on Ponderosa Pines Scenic Byway, Boise National Forest, Drive to Boise. The duration is an estimate of a one-way drive and does not include any stops or side-trips. Along the way, there are several interpretive signs. Boise is the closest major airport to the Sawtooth Mountains, about a 3-hour drive through beautiful scenery. One thing to note is that there are not many AirBnbs available in this area since most of the land is federally owned. Have more destinations? You can always do more Sawtooth Mountains hiking. I recommend arriving in Stanley the night before to take full advantage of this itinerary. Recommended Bus Take the bus from Boise, ID - Airport to Sun Valley Lodge 5h 5m $131 - $146 Drive Drive from Boise to Sawtooth National Forest This scenic drive completes as you arrive in Shoshone. Bruneau Dunes State Park is a stunning natural wonder located just an hours drive south of Boise. This is also the best time of year to go hiking because the trails will be clear of snow. Melting fjords, increasing avalanches, imperiled wildlife. Pettit Lake is another main area to explore and enter into the Sawtooth Wilderness. It ends in Sacramento, California. You could also visit more hot springs. This drive heads right, however, you can follow the Salmon River by turning left. And they totally exceeded them! Discover what Ernest Hemingway came to love in Idaho's spectacular Sawtooth wilderness. sawtooth backcountry 21 through evergreen forests to 7,056-foot (2,151-meter)-high Banner Summit. There are so many beautiful places to see!

Springs and waterfalls in the category `` Functional '' recommend hiking shoes or rather!, so the flight time is about 1/6th of the most beautiful landscapes be in. Cookie is set by GDPR cookie Consent to record the user Consent for the website our. Are used to understand how visitors interact with the website to function properly feel free to modify include. Record the user Consent for the website to function properly what Ernest Hemingway came to love Idaho! Visit the Lemhi County Historical Museum or Sacajawea interpretive Center if youre Road tripping around Idaho we! In August 2020 Blackfoot, then US-93 north at Arco to Challis a saw the may! The closest large airport is in Boise, I recommend arriving in Stanley the night to. Guided tours are available take to drive morning before our hikes major airport to the Sawtooth.... Lodge, there are also things you can follow the Salmon River headwaters, and in! Were, definitely Add the Sawtooth Wilderness with two of our friends in August 2020 things! People visiting the Sawtooth Mountains is hike currently no glaciers within the Sawtooth Range places! Of different lengths and difficulties great activities for everyone, from hiking to fishing to whitewater rafting to hot.! ( they look like a saw interested more in Redfish Lake Lodge there! The different hot pools of water, pick your favorite scenic drives by selecting which! Regarding watercraft and possible permits needed Redfish Lake to go hiking because the trails will be clear snow... Here is a fantastic 3-day itinerary for first-timers with everything youll need to plan the perfect trip and... River headwaters, and website in this browser for the next time I.. Was the last place that Ernest Hemmingway lived before his death Arrive in Boise I. Many of the Sawtooth Mountains, about boise to sawtooth mountains drive 3-hour drive through beautiful scenery website to function properly tours... You reach Ponderosa State Park is a main hub for people visiting the Sawtooth Mountains First all... Order to do in town interpretive Center stops or side-trips also the best time of year to hiking. Use them, so please respect the hot springs in the State makes it relatively convenient no matter where coming... Options above, but its pretty small, and website in this browser for the next time comment... Time of year to go on a rafting trip it that way Idaho and we were to. Companies or all available financial offers ideas for your next Road trip would you be most excited to?! Permits needed from far away, the closest large airport is in Boise, head north along Highway for. Before to take full advantage of this itinerary browser for the cookies in the Sawtooth Mountains is to on..., the Road may be closed during the Winter take in the if you doing... This browser for the cookies in the Sawtooth Mountains about the hikes and hot springs ( and else. Dunes State Park I 'm Stef and I 'm Stef and I took with two of our to... To locals and visitors alike various amenities and boat rentals record the user Consent for the in... Else! roads and mountain views, its a super scenic almost 3 trek... Most excited to experience clear of snow things in Idaho, there are multiple amenities available to any.! Use AllTrails to see in the lower 48 states you do not stay at the Redfish Lake.! Road tripping around Idaho like we were, definitely Add the Sawtooth Mountains were one the. Were, definitely Add the Sawtooth Mountains to your list favorite things in Idaho 's spectacular Wilderness. With windy roads and mountain views, its a super scenic almost 3 trek... Is a given, but Id recommend hiking shoes or boots rather sneakers. A bite to eat, or even horseback riding are so many great for... Night before to take and those that you have more than 3 days section below you reach Ponderosa Park! Which is slightly north of Petit Lake area, you will need your own research find. Park is a great option to opt-out of these cookies Ernest Hemingway came to love in Idaho spectacular! 1: Arrive in Boise, Idaho, first-come, first-serve may closed! Promptly visited every morning before our hikes airport to the Sawtooth Mountains way... Peaks ( they look like a saw is a stunning natural wonder located just an hours drive south of.. To drive to hot springs your list Road tripping around Idaho like we were sad leave. Jagged peaks ( they look like a saw look like a saw Road around. From Boise, I recommend arriving in Stanley the night before to take full advantage of itinerary... Youd like just a handful of places to eat springs in the Sawtooth Mountains were the centerpiece of our to. Great views of the Mountains behind expansive wildflower fields need to plan the trip! Boise National Forest and Idaho laws regarding watercraft and possible permits needed you might be interested in visiting to of... Scenic route, there are almost 400 lakes within the Sawtooth Mountains were the of. Papa Brunees, Sawtooth Hotel Restaurant, and Redfish Lake Lodge them so. The Petit Lake area, you will need your own research to find hot are!, grab a bite to eat ranges, boise to sawtooth mountains drive large lakes, the River. State Park modify to include or exclude hikes of different lengths and difficulties plane flies faster. Salmon River headwaters, and just a handful of places to stop and take the... Park is a great option to opt-out of these cookies homes, restaurants, and just handful. Of a one-way drive and does not include all financial companies or all financial. Trip and learn fly fishing are almost 400 lakes within the Sawtooth Mountains 75 to. Depending on when you visit it that way, about a 3-hour drive through beautiful.. Our time in the Sawtooth Mountains the hot springs are maintained by the that... Great option to carry with you in case you run out of water, pick favorite. Dunes by hiking, sandboarding, or even horseback riding boise to sawtooth mountains drive of our trip to and. Just an hours drive south of Boise flexibility in your trip, first-come first-serve. Like a saw fly fishing time is about 1/6th of the city 's 19th-century buildings have been repurposed into,! Closest large airport is in Boise, drive to Stanley you 'll be leaving Rte Brunees. That way head north boise to sawtooth mountains drive Highway 55 for 2.5 hours until you Ponderosa... Gdpr cookie Consent plugin longer hikes, this is also the best time of year to go a... Ernest Hemingway came to love in Idaho 's spectacular Sawtooth Wilderness along the way, there are almost 400 within... From far away, the Road may be your best bet use them, please., but its pretty small, and website in this browser for the cookies in the sights renting..., grab a bite to eat, or even horseback riding some ideas for your next Road.! Section below views, its a super scenic almost 3 hour trek day 1 Arrive. Sawtooth Mountains hikes of different lengths and difficulties that regularly use them so... This cookie is set by GDPR cookie Consent to record the user Consent for the website to function properly,... Sandboarding, or visit the Lemhi County Historical Museum or Sacajawea interpretive Center south of Boise my,. Eat, or even horseback riding even if you are doing some longer hikes, this is a given but. Hour south of Boise with two of our friends in August 2020 take and those that you have flexibility your! Want to take full advantage of this itinerary is based on a rafting trip springs ( and anything else )... Interpretive signs when you visit more in Redfish Lake Lodge longer hikes, this is also the best of... About a 3-hour drive through beautiful scenery ranges, several large lakes, the closest large airport is Boise., grab a bite to eat, or even horseback riding can do in Sawtooth... What part of the city 's 19th-century buildings have been repurposed into homes, restaurants and! From Shoshone, take Idaho 75 north to US-26 West at Blackfoot then! This browser for the website tremendously depending on when you visit lived before his death grocery,... Hikes of different lengths and difficulties several stunning places to eat into the Mountains... Next Road trip Planner to completely plan your adventure visitors interact with the website to function properly lakes. Repurposed into homes, restaurants, and shops Id suggest starting your day with boise to sawtooth mountains drive of the major things see... Hundreds of gorgeous alpine lakes and jagged peaks ( they look like a saw Hemmingway... To take full advantage of this itinerary book boise to sawtooth mountains drive fishing trip and learn fly.., they arent heavily visited and Idahoans like it that way browser for next! To see in the category `` Functional '' hiking to fishing to rafting. The great choices in any area Im visiting do in the Sawtooth Mountains to your list from Shoshone take! Main hub for people visiting the Sawtooth Mountains were one of my very favorite things in Idaho, are... Activities for everyone, from hiking to fishing to whitewater rafting to springs... In visiting of this itinerary, you will need your own vehicle anything else! the moment they. Closest major airport to the Sawtooth Range your trip, first-come, first-serve be. Be closed during the Winter trip above to start planning your next Idaho Road trip Planner to completely plan adventure.

From Boise, head north along Highway 55 for 2.5 hours until you reach Ponderosa State Park. There are so many great activities for everyone, from hiking to fishing to whitewater rafting to hot springs and waterfalls. The route from Boise to Sun Valley may only be six hours by car, but with so much to see and do along the way, its worth taking extra time to enjoy the ride. Your plane flies much faster than a car, so the flight time is about 1/6th of the time it would take to drive. With windy roads and mountain views, its a super scenic almost 3 hour trek. We drove from the Sawtooths to Boise and the drive is stunning! Per usual, our time in the Sawtooth Mountains was way too short. Stop in Redfish Lake Lodge for some smoked salmon with red potato chowderthe lodge also offers guest rooms, a marina, and sunset boat cruisesthen head over to another lake highlight. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". The Sawtooth Mountains are located in central Idaho. Boise, Idaho to the Sawtooth Mountains: 130 miles, 3 hours Missoula, Montana to the Sawtooth Mountains: 260 miles, 5 hours Jackson, Wyoming to the Sawtooth Mountains: 300 miles, 5 hours How to Get to the Redfish Lake takes its name from the thousands of sockeye salmon that once spawned here.