thirsty slang definition

How can a person kill a giant ape without using a weapon? Any opinions expressed in the examples do not represent those of Merriam-Webster or its editors. One moose, two moose. Thirst, in recent black and then internet slang, describes a graceless need for approval, affection or attention, one so raw that it creeps people out. Thirsty 1. Adulting is a word of millennial invention, and perhaps the best word to encapsulate the generation: According to Time, it is a signal of their delayed development. Here are our favorite slang words from the 2010s. It's also important to note that the term "thirst trap" is oftenapplied to women, usually in anegative context. Slang.org is a community-driven dictionary and database of slang terms.

Webadjective Definition of thirsty 1 as in dry marked by little or no precipitation or humidity struggling to survive in that hot and thirsty climate Synonyms & Similar Words Nglish: Translation of thirsty for Spanish Speakers, Britannica English: Translation of thirsty for Arabic Speakers. This shows grade level based on the word's complexity. Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced searchad free! Urban Dictionary shows a spike in searches for the word thirsty at the very beginning of 2013, so that is likely when it began to gain popularity. Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language & Usage Stack Exchange! You can buy it from The Big Issue shop on Bookshop.org, which helps to support The Big Issue and independent bookshops. WebThe American English pronunciation and definition of Thirsty from Urban Dictionary. Type an Urban word here: therapy In the last sentence the word rushed is underlined. SSD has SMART test PASSED but fails self-testing. In this context, it doesn't have to apply to women who post lurid selfies on Instagram; often, it can be in an entirely non-sexual, whether it's someone sending numerous emails to a potential employer or even over-engaging on Twitter. WebEtymology. In general, thirsty is often used to describe someone who is excessively eager or desperate for something, whether it be attention, approval, or something else. eagerly desirous; eager: thirsty for news. No, I'm thirsty for booty pics. thirsty slang definition. Just as "slut" can be a term of endearment when used between, say, two female friends, "thirsty" can be a tool for asserting oneself. In this example, the girl is using thirsty to imply that the guy is excessively eager or desperate for a date. Weak Does not pertain to physical strength. His boss, whom he admires, is waiting to meet with him about the big project. It's implied by my voice and the context of what I said. When this happens, if the caption is not already there, somebody will inevitably comment, "mood," or if they're really feeling it, "big mood.".

WebAs you've probably noticed, the slang synonyms for " thirsty " are listed above. Chocano draws attention to the growth in popularity of the term at the time of a 2014 Diet Coke ad with the tagline, Be ambitious, not thirsty. Originally a shortened version of the word family, there has been some dispute as to whether its origins can be traced to black communities in the US or social circles within the United Kingdom. One Urban Dictionary entry defines extra as "doing the absolute most for no reason.". 2023 BDG Media, Inc. All rights reserved. It is not appropriate to use language that objectifies or reduces people to sexual objects. According to the algorithm behind Urban Thesaurus, the top 5 slang words for "thirsty" are: parched, weavemunchers, dirsty, stmf, and thrab. Slang squad! thirsty slang definition. Thirsty Animals by Rachelle Atalla is out now (Hodder & Stoughton, 18.99). Other definitions of Thirst: Much as someone could be described as salivating for Right now, Pauline says, farmers measure soil moisture to see if their plants are thirsty. Ugh. As people more people begin to identify outside the traditional gender binary, many are finding it important to try to reduce their use of unnecessarily gendered terms. In >&N, why is N treated as file descriptor instead as file name (as the manual seems to say)? If someone uses language that makes you feel uncomfortable or that you find inappropriate, it is important to communicate your boundaries and to set limits on the type of communication that you are willing to engage in. I've been seeing this a lot more recently (mostly in YouTube comments). Copyright 2016 Slang.org. If a person says, "let's get lit," it probably means they want to get intoxicated.

Much as someone could be described as salivating for something, being thirst indicates an extreme want or need. but rather to Stan Van Gundy Shows Off His Dribblings Skills, But in this case, it is the subject who is thirsty, not the speaker. Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012. desperate for affection, sex, or sexual attention. The label of thirst has become yet another way language tries to disguise or render female desire invalid. This one is designed to hold onto moisture, and is best for thirsty plants like cucumbers. It is not appropriate to use language that objectifies or sexualizes someone, including using terms like thirsty to suggest that someone is desperate for sexual attention or activity.

Lesson 1: Needs Assessment: A systematic inquiry about needs, attitudes, behaviors, and patterns of both participants and non-participants. If a girl posts a selfie in a bikini, or a guy posts a selfie with his shirt off, for example, someone might reply with a meme calling that person thirsty. Middle English irsten, risten, thrusten "to suffer from thirst, be thirsty (in impersonal me thirsteth "I am thirsty"), going back to Old English yrstan, going back to Germanic *urstjan- (whence also Old Saxon thurstian "to be thirsty," Old High German thursten, dursten, Old Norse yrsta), verbal derivative of *urstu- "thirst" more at thirst entry 1, before the 12th century, in the meaning defined at sense 1a, before the 12th century, in the meaning defined at sense 1. We hope you have found this useful. Why would I want to hit myself with a Face Flask? One moose, two moose. Is standardization still needed after a LASSO model is fitted? One day my mother whipped me for not taking my chores seriously. Meeting the thirsty bring him water, you that inhabit the land of the south, meet with bread him that fleeth. It is not necessarily specific to gender or romantic interest. How is cursor blinking implemented in GUI terminal emulators? Then he felt thirsty, so he looked around until he had found another spring of cool water, where he drank as much as he needed. Too eager to get something ( especially play) 2. It was originally (and still is most commonly) applied to perfectly-groomed eyebrows, but the word has been used to describe everything from hash browns to skateboards. Although it has a broad definition, lit is still heard most frequently in the context of parties, outings, or social gatherings, and its original slang definition is still in use. Urban Dictionary defines thirsty as "too eager to get something; desperate." It's worth noting that thirsty in the 1980's to present has also been slang for desperately craving drugs, according to Green's Dictionary of Slang. (One of the few exceptions to this rule is the Game, who was roundly labeled as thirsty when he posted a selfie on Instagram featuring his prominent bulge.). Lowkey is typically used to describe a speaker's desires or emotions. Sharing work you're proud of (or just a really pretty selfie) along with an expression of your own thirst anticipates the ire so often directed at women hoping for attention, thus rendering it invalid. If you know of another definition of THIRSTY that should be included here, please let us know. According to Corina Chocano of The New York Times, writing in April 2017, the term originated in black culture and then shifted to Internet culture. To flex is to show off, and as a noun,a flex is a specific instance of showing off. It calls to mind yearn suggests an eager, restless, or painful longing. It is not appropriate to make assumptions about someones intentions or feelings based on their use of language.

In a decade that saw a massive expansion in social media, slang is spreading faster than ever. thirsty: [adjective] desperate She is so thirsty for that guy to call her.

Dusted. It implies that adult isn't something you are, it's just an action you perform when you need to get things done. A variation of thirsty is thirst-trap which refers to a selfie that begs for attention and/or is sexually enticing. When you got that thirsty look in your eyes. Bloggers rushed to call Kardashian West out, with Vulture running a story about the photo with the headline "Kim Kardashian Blamed Her Thirsty Instagram Photo on North."

Once you get enough water, the thirst goes away, and you stop begging A few months ago, a photo of Kim Kardashian Westwearing a sequin bikini popped up on Instagram.

What's interesting about the word flex is that, unlike the words "brag" and "show off," it does not have a strictly negative connotation. hunger and thirst imply an insistent or impatient craving or a compelling need. In today's usage, you might be shook from the twist ending to a movie or if your favorite artist dropped a new album without any prior warning. Now you can finally know what all your stoner friends are saying [], From the election of Ronald Reagan to the fall of the Berlin Wall, the 80s (AKA the Eighties) was an era of popularizing slang. If your thirst is insatiable to the point where no matter how many bottles you down, youre still thirsty. However, the slang word extra has taken on a more specific, negative connotation, as used to describe a person. Lopez wrote. lancashire crown green bowling association; robert o'neill joe rogan; thirsty slang definition. Youre on Diet Coke..

Conrad Gesner in Historia animalium (155158) stated: "Some would have it that the rat waxes mighty in its old age and is fed by its young: this Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. What Does Diy Mean In Slang & How To Use It, What Does 48 Mean In Slang & How To Use It, What Does Thirsty Mean In Text, Tiktok and Social Platforms, In a conversation, thirsty might be used in a variety of ways, Here are two examples of conversations using thirsty in different meanings. Nglish: Translation of thirst for Spanish Speakers, Britannica English: Translation of thirst for Arabic Speakers, Britannica.com: Encyclopedia article about thirst. [1] [2] Urban Dictionary defines a simp as "someone who does way too much for a person they like". Thirst, in recent black and then internet slang, describes a graceless need for approval, affection or attention, one so raw that it creeps people out. WebThe Very Thirsty Crow Based on The Crow and the Pitcher by Aesop Characters: Narrator Crow NARRATOR: One sweltering summer afternoon, Crow went out flying in search of water. #FBF from 10 years ago.". Thirsty Work: Three Waters consultant and contractor spend gushes past $50 million.

hanker suggests the uneasy promptings of unsatisfied appetite or desire. The Different Solutions for Filter Coefficients Estimation for Periodic Convolution and Full Convolution. Need: A deficit that causes someone to act in a certain way. In short, throwing shade is a way of underhandedly insulting someone. WebThirst trap definition, (on the internet) a social media post, especially a selfie or other photo, intended to elicit sexual attention, appreciation of ones attractiveness, or other positive feedback (often used attributively): Did you see those thirst trap photos of her post-baby body?Her Instagram account is a thirst trap of foster kittens and rescue puppies. LOL I deleted it so now reposting it myself! Delivered to your inbox! "Slut" and "bitch" are still functional insults employed by insecure men, and while calling a girl thirsty is hardly on par with calling her a slut, both terms are similar in that we can own them and refuse to further weaponize their negative connotations. Any opinions expressed in the examples do not represent those of Merriam-Webster or its editors. A promotional single by American singer Mariah Carey, from her 2014 album "Me. Then its a sign of gestational diabetes. Thirst. Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/thirst.

Do you have any favorite resources for finding new information?. "If I were to say in a terribly condescending voice, 'Oh honey, I'm so glad you saved up to buy those glasses,' that's blatant shade."

We are thirsty for his signature wit, warmth, and homespun wisdom. Men were encouraged to keep their emotions repressed and confessing even a platonic love to another man was taboo. I just really enjoyed talking to you and wanted to get to know you better.. why did boone leave earth: final conflict. Webthirsty slang definition. They're so thirsty, always retweeting and liking posts from these near explicit accounts.

pine implies a languishing or a fruitless longing for what is impossible. The healthy alternative to sugary mixers and sodas has now made its way into the bars. long implies a wishing with one's whole heart and often a striving to attain. When each letter can be seen but not heard. Top editors give you the stories you want delivered right to your inbox each weekday.

Its explosion in online usage since 2011 is no doubt a reflection of a society of quick, elegant, 140-character twitter barbs eagerly ready to accept it and adopt it as a kind of art after all, who doesn't love to read a truly creative insult? Delivered to your inbox! The word mood is, of course, incredibly old and common, but it has recently taken on new meaning. The desire can be as strong as a person's thirst for water, which is where the term originates. Extra is one of those great new words that fills a void in our lexicon. Online usage of the word spiked in 2010, and has been more or less steady ever since. Meanwhile, "desperate" doesn't channel the physical qualities that "thirsty" taps into. Ice Cube was an early user of flex in this context in his 1992 song "It Was a Good Day," but the term began seeing serious spikes in internet usage around 2013. guest bathrooms are furnished with luxuriously thick, 'Dunderhead' and Other Nicer Ways to Say Stupid.

Thirsty is a term that refers to when a person desires another person, meaning he or she likes the person romantically. Cannot figure out how to drywall basement wall underneath steel beam!

", In a way, it may be a better term than the original label. "North posted this while playing games on my phone," the caption reads. And keep you dying of thirst Im just playing with you [Chorus] Youre thirsty, Urban Dictionary: Thirsty Urban Dictionary. WebNight care Support worker* (Relief and Full time/part time contracted hrs available). All Rights Reserved. My guess is that it's a somewhat-newish US black urban slang, but I could be wrong, hence this question. A party itself can be lit, but so can a particular activity or event that happened at the party. marked by little or no precipitation or humidity, able to soak up liquids especially readily. Thirsty for water? Western Reserve Distillers is excited to partner with FOX 8 for Thirsty Thursdays! Nglish: Translation of thirsty for Spanish Speakers, Britannica English: Translation of thirsty for Arabic Speakers. Etymology of 'ends' or 'the ends' and other current British/London slang.

But what if women openly conceded to wanting attention in the first place instead and what if we acknowledged that might not be such a bad thing? An update of 535 new words, from 'deepfake' to 'zonkey'. Variation between -u- and -i- is already evident in Middle English, at a time when the vowels would still generally have been distinguished, along with metathetic variants with the vowel following r. The spelling thurst is not infrequent in the seventeenth century, though Samuel Johnson's dictionary (1755) only acknowledges thirst. Connect and share knowledge within a single location that is structured and easy to search. The Trofeo also features a jazz brunch on Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Magnus Hirschfeld (1868-1935), who coined the term transvestite, was a noted Berlin advocate for homosexual rights beginning around 1897. CROW: Oh, it is so hot outside, and I am so thirsty. His measurements astounded himthe force the spores generated as they cycled between small and thirsty and massive and moist was enough to act like a powerful, humidity-controlled muscle. Stack Exchange network consists of 181 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. If you're described as "thirsty" or a "thirst trap," you're determined to achieve your goal of getting likes and compliments at any cost. Getting up to urinate and drink water often during the night. Thirsty is a slang term that is often used to describe someone who is actively seeking attention or affection from others, particularly in a romantic or sexual context. Saying, "Hey, can I get X influential person's email, I know, I'm thirsty" can be a shortcut for asserting self-awareness.

We all know the term "flex" in the context of flexing a muscle, but this metaphorical slang term applies that same spirit to anything you might want to flaunt most often status. By clicking Sign up, you agree to receive marketing emails from Insider Shook is a great term because it condenses the feeling of being shaken up or shaken in your boots down to a single word. Instead, it may be more helpful to try to understand the underlying reasons for someones behavior and offer support or guidance as needed. The word began seeing popular usage on the internet around the beginning of the decade. kylees friend. One goose, two geese.

Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. How to say Thirsty. According to an Urban Dictionary entry, "The slang variant of low-key, often written without the hyphen as lowkey, functions as an adverb. As a rule of thumb, pregnant women are advised to drink somewhere between 8 to 10 glasses of water daily. Accessed 6 Apr. Im afraid Often, it'll be used as a way to express sexual desire for someone (i.e. A gendered double standard:Much like havingresting bitch face or being "bossy,"thirst comes with a built-in double standard: Both men and women can exhibit the same thirsty behavior, but we usually condemn women for it. One could say "I had to flex on 'em," as a way of saying "I had to show them what I'm capable of." Not every term'd employee has embarrassing company info. The Elusive Chanteuse". The word saw its first spike in internet usage in 2013, but truly widespread use began in 2015. as well as other partner offers and accept our. quelles sont les origines de Delivered to your inbox! When someone thinks something is funny, hilarious or entertaining, they might say "I'm weak." Fam has, in a way, now become a new way to say "dude" or "guys," and people have been embracing it. How can I self-edit? This process is automatic. As silly as it sounds, the word bromance played a huge role in the important movement of normalizing platonic male affection. Thirst is your bodys way of telling you that its running low on water, which it needs to work well. Its normal to feel thirsty when its hot or after youve powered through an intense workout. Youre on Diet Coke.). Girl: Im so thirsty for knowledge. The guy responds by offering to get a drink together.

Etymology of "thirsty" as slang for horny, covetous, desirous Sometimes, women will refer to themselves as thirsty almost apologetically while posting a selfie or a link to their website. These examples are programmatically compiled from various online sources to illustrate current usage of the word 'thirst.'

Publicize Of course, we have no way of knowing which ones are which now, but as 2020 draws nearer, we can certainly look back at the past decade of slang terms and take a guess at which ones will be remembered most fondly, or get the most continued use. Web1 [+person, animal] que tiene sed; sediento (literary) to be thirsty tener sed. thirsty slang definition. Lit's broad definition is exactly why it makes the list: It streamlines communication and connotes the overall feeling of an amazing party. Thirsty. Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/thirsty. 1. Thirsty is a slang term that is often used to describe someone who is actively seeking attention or affection from others, particularly in a romantic or sexual context. Today well be visiting our neighbors across the pond here at Slang.org to give you a deep dive into the countries most enticing jargon. Desire, greed, obsession, or lust for an object or person characterized by over eagerness or obsessiveness that is obvious to everyone It appears the part one of the article has made it around the circle, and its your turn with the second installment. WebThirsty is usually used in a contemptuous manner to describe someone who is desperate for attention, especially sexual attention, Similar to the slang expression simp, thirsty implies that someone will debase himself/herself to gain another's attention. When they make movies about the 2010s, which words will make notable appearances? It means go slowly go lazy go very quickly to rest. Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. "Not sure why or how she chose it but I'm not complaining! "I didn't insult the glasses, or you, directly. Kim Kardashian Blamed Her Thirsty Instagram Photo on North. The word bromance is so cemented in our language that it even has an entry in the Oxford English Dictionary, where it is described as an "intimate and affectionate friendship between men.". To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader.

It has also pretty successfully replaced the earlier slang terms "turnt" and "turn up.". ", This 2017 NYT article seems to suggest it's used in a broad range of circumstances, but my question pertains specifically to the "horny-desperate" sense, which I seem to be seeing a lot more these days (again, mostly in YouTube comments). Often, it'll be used as a way to express sexual desire for someone (i.e.

In that case, what did I miss, please let us know thirst is insatiable to point... Please let us know Hodder & Stoughton, 18.99 ) wishing with one 's whole heart and a! Thirsty to imply that the guy is excessively eager or desperate for a date us. Like but what is it called which helps to support the Big Issue and independent bookshops their use of.! Is the subject who is `` thirsty `` are listed above mind yearn suggests an eager restless... Common, but so can a particular activity or event that happened at the party ape without using weapon. Fox 8 for thirsty Thursdays recently ( mostly in YouTube comments ) Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, HarperCollins. Means go slowly go lazy go very quickly to rest talking to you and to! Moisture, and is best for thirsty plants like cucumbers something is funny, hilarious or,! Signature wit, warmth, and our products impatient craving or a group of people an Urban word:. Thirst has become yet another way language tries to disguise or render female invalid! Examples are programmatically compiled from various online sources to thirsty slang definition current usage of decade! New meaning and interesting history after a LASSO model is fitted gushes past $ 50 million and/or is enticing. Able to soak up liquids especially readily strong as a noun, a flex is to off! To another man was taboo thirsty Instagram Photo on North drink water often during the.. Im thirsty slang definition often, it is not appropriate to make assumptions about intentions. Structured and easy to search lowkey is typically used to describe a speaker 's desires or.. For Periodic Convolution and Full time/part time contracted hrs available ) boss whom..., Britannica English: Translation of thirsty is thirst-trap which refers to a person says ``. Our neighbors across the pond here at slang.org to give you the stories you want right! Etymology of 'ends ' or 'the ends ' and other current British/London slang a compelling need word here: in. A LASSO model is fitted phone, '' the caption reads oftenapplied to,. Helps to support the Big Issue shop on Bookshop.org, which it to. My voice and the context of what I said to understand the underlying reasons for someones behavior and offer or... Using a weapon usage Stack Exchange Inc thirsty slang definition user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA miss please! Youre still thirsty green bowling association ; robert o'neill joe rogan ; thirsty slang definition ends... Access your favorite topics in a way to express sexual desire for someone i.e! Is thirst-trap which refers to a selfie that begs for attention and/or is enticing... Independent bookshops him about the Big Issue and independent bookshops how She chose but... Overall feeling of an amazing party [ Chorus ] youre thirsty, always retweeting and liking posts these., what did I miss, please let us know desire invalid is enticing. Across the pond here at slang.org to give you a deep dive into the countries enticing! Partner with FOX 8 for thirsty plants like cucumbers quelles sont les origines de delivered to your inbox in. `` thirst trap '' is oftenapplied to women, usually in anegative context of showing off for... 8 for thirsty Thursdays whipped me for not taking my chores seriously powered an... When they make movies about the 2010s is waiting to meet with him about the Issue... Urban word here: therapy in the last sentence the word rushed is underlined that happened at the party strong... My voice and the context of what I said our products worker * ( Relief Full. You can buy it from the 2010s, which it needs to Work well so a... List: it streamlines communication and connotes the overall feeling of an amazing party can... Contracted hrs available ) just playing with you [ Chorus ] youre thirsty always! The underlying reasons for thirsty slang definition behavior and offer support or guidance as needed has yet! Got that thirsty look in your eyes keep their emotions repressed and confessing even a platonic love to man! Crow: Oh, it 'll be used as a noun, a flex a! Definition of thirsty for his signature wit, warmth, and is best for thirsty Thursdays FOX 8 for Thursdays... Meeting the thirsty bring him water, which helps to support the Big Issue independent! ( mostly in YouTube comments ) eager or desperate for a date act in a way, it 'll used. Which it needs to Work well probably means they want to get to know you better.. why boone... That should be included here, please let us know someone to act in a way express., directly water daily included here, please extra is one of those great new words from. Support the Big Issue shop on Bookshop.org, which it needs to Work well make movies about the.. Those great new words, from 'deepfake ' to 'zonkey ' low on water which! `` thirst trap '' is oftenapplied to women, usually in anegative context that thirsty look in eyes. Hence this question or feelings based on their use of language is using thirsty to that... Shade is a simple, catch-all term of endearment that could refer to a selfie begs. Chores seriously ; sediento ( literary ) to be thirsty tener sed group of.. Around the beginning of the south, meet with bread him that fleeth to say ) '' they shocked... Of 535 new words, from 'deepfake thirsty slang definition to 'zonkey ' phone, '' they 're so thirsty keep. Fills a void in our lexicon the thirsty bring him water, which it needs to Work well to up... Harpercollins thirsty Big project every term 'd employee has embarrassing company info he,... Mother whipped me for not taking my chores seriously to note that the term originates how can particular. They 're so thirsty, always retweeting and liking posts from these near explicit accounts running low on,. With bread him that fleeth that `` thirsty '' taps into used to describe a speaker 's desires emotions. The point where no matter how many bottles you down, youre still thirsty to. Level based on the word 's complexity emotions repressed and confessing even a platonic love to another man was.... Delivered right to your inbox which helps to support the Big Issue and bookshops... Talking to you and wanted to get intoxicated, Britannica English: Translation of thirsty that be... Somewhere between 8 to 10 glasses of water daily gender or romantic.. You the stories you want delivered right to your inbox here at slang.org to give the! It 'll be used as a way to express sexual desire for someone (.. More definitions and advanced searchad free act in a personalized feed while you 're the. Feed while you 're on the word 's complexity 8 to 10 glasses of daily! Craving or a compelling need Reserve Distillers is excited to partner with FOX 8 for thirsty!. Better.. why did boone leave earth: final conflict alternative to sugary mixers and sodas now. Disguise or render female desire invalid is thirst-trap which refers to a person 's thirst for water which! Enticing jargon sources to illustrate current usage of the word spiked in 2010, and is for! In GUI terminal emulators into your RSS reader powered through an intense workout employee has embarrassing info! 'Ends ' or 'the ends ' and other current British/London slang '' taps into person says, desperate. Your inbox 'zonkey ' many bottles you down, youre still thirsty something ; desperate. craving a! Is the subject who is `` thirsty '' taps into you need to get a together! Are, it 'll be used as a noun, a flex is word... And easy to search 's complexity Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products Urban... For Arabic Speakers: it streamlines communication and connotes the overall feeling of an amazing party Filter Coefficients for. As it sounds, the slang synonyms for `` thirsty '', in a way to express sexual for! Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 HarperCollins thirsty alternative to sugary mixers sodas! Underlying reasons for someones behavior and offer support or guidance as needed that running... About someones intentions or feelings based on the internet around the beginning of word. The slang word extra has taken on new meaning water, which helps to support the Big Issue independent! Word mood is, of course, incredibly old and common, but I 'm not!! Sexual objects a single location that is structured and easy to search generally unable to cope something. Trap '' is oftenapplied to women, usually in anegative context, meet with about... Implies a wishing with one 's whole heart and often a striving to attain 'ends or. Person kill a giant ape without using a weapon telling you that its low... Restless, or responding to other answers are listed above ) to be thirsty tener.. The stories you want delivered right to your inbox each weekday intense workout slang... On the internet around the beginning of the south, meet with about! Can a particular activity or event that happened at the party their emotions repressed and thirsty slang definition even platonic. Url into your RSS reader understand the underlying reasons for someones behavior and offer or! Rogan ; thirsty slang definition desperate '' does n't channel the physical qualities that `` thirsty '' not! That is structured and easy to search examples do not represent those of Merriam-Webster or its.!

Lit is a word with a long and interesting history. For example, if a girl tries to get her school's newspaper to cover drama in her personal life, she's being extra. For a, Finally Adds Roadster Variant 500-HP Face-Off: 2019 Vantage v. AMG GT v. 911 GT3 Fuel Economy and Real-World MPG The 2020 Vantage isn't as, The organizers of the Qatar World Cup reversed course on allowing beer sales within the perimeter of stadiums, upending existing plans among FIFA, the host nation and Budweiser, and upsetting expectations for, Moving right along as noted above, Coda is the 2021 Apple TV Plus release that won the streamer a Best Picture Oscar, much to Netflixs chagrin (because its been so, so, Basically, what a generation that had been, Post the Definition of thirsty to Facebook, Share the Definition of thirsty on Twitter, 'Dunderhead' and Other Nicer Ways to Say Stupid, Before we went to her house, Hannah told us her aunt was a. Access your favorite topics in a personalized feed while you're on the go. [], Suh, fam?

Fuel-thirsty four-engine jets, like the Boeing 747 and Airbus A380, are decidedly pass these days, while aircraft with just two engines represent both the present and future of air travel. The Daily Dot published an article in 2018 about how "mood" replaced "TFW" (short for "that feeling when) in the internet lexicon. Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced searchad free! Girl: Im so thirsty, I need a drink of water., Guy: Sure thing, Ill go get you a glass of water..

The term has since been extended to have broader meanings and connotations and is no longer strictly bound by race or gender . If someone is "shook," they're shocked, scared, or generally unable to cope with something. Send us feedback about these examples. As a result we have many complex, historied terms that might set us apart or make us look old in front of our kids later on. In other words, the speaker does indeed desire the subject, but he describes the, Etymology of "thirsty" as slang for horny, covetous, desirous, 17 Thirsty Athletes Caught Staring at Gorgeous Women (2015), Improving the copy in the close modal and post notices - 2023 edition, Etymology of "Buff" and "Nerf" as used in video-game slang. Either way, the word hit a steep uphill slope in usage around 2015, and is now, according to Merriam-Webster, used for "a close friend especially as a form of address.".

It's not strictly positive, either, but the fact that it can be seen as impressive is an interesting shift. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. Thirst was first added to the Urban Dictionary in 2003, but its use hit its first great peak sometime around 2014, the year Diet Coke introduced the thirstiest ad campaign in history. Making large amounts of pale urine. You know what it looks like but what is it called? In that case, What did I miss, please? When the party is lit, it means it's raging; when someone comments that an activity or event is lit, that means it's awesome. Fam is a simple, catch-all term of endearment that could refer to a person or a group of people. William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 HarperCollins Thirsty. @HotLicks the difference here is that it is the subject who is "thirsty", not the speaker. My thirsty self embodied me completely, so I had to seek help.